MY 1970 FORD CAPRI

WELCOME TO MY BLOG WHICH TELLS THE STORY OF THE RESTORATION OF MY 1970 FORD CAPRI 1600 DELUXE

Friday 30 September 2011

Accelerator Problems

As I was exiting the freeway on my last outing in the white Capri, I tried to accelerate around the corner & suddenly, the accelerator pedal went to the floor & nothing happened. I thought the cable had broken & luckily I was very close to home. With the assistance of my good wife who brought some string & wire, I rigged up a hand throttle & limped the car home.
When I finally got around to seeing what had happened, I discovered that the throttle pedal assembly had slid out of its mounting holes & thus, no throttle. After I disconnected the cable, I also found that the welding on the pedal assembly had cracked & was about to break & that the cable was very nearly broken. So, a few things need to be fixed. The pictures tell the story.

I was able to get the pedal assembly rewelded for $20 while I waited at a small welding works at Coorparoo & I thought that was pretty good. They had previously welded up my gear stick. I had also seen a NOS accelerator cable on the English Ebay & it seemed to be the real deal so I bought it for $30, which I thought was a pretty good price. It arrived within 10 days, which was also really good. It was an Alexander brand, model 486C. Also note that it has the correct plastic clip that screws onto the firewall. I now realise that the previous cable was not really the correct model & it makes a great deal of difference.

I also had difficulty getting the pedal assembly to stay in the mounting holes without sliding sideways. The clips & holes seem to be on the LHS which are very difficult to put into place because of the steering rod. I did manage to use a pin on the LHS & two plastic ties on the RHS & that seems to have stopped any movement.
I can't believe how much difference the new cable has made. The accelerator is much more responsive, the car starts much quicker & drives much better. My advice then to anyone replacing the cable would be to ensure that you do get the correct one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Counter